Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a really good and fairly simple recipe for naan. I pair it along side every indian dish. I found this recipe when searching google for a true naan recipe.. I think I found it on allrecipes.com. Since it's so good, I thought I'd share it with every other RecipeZaar member.
- Note: the cook time does not include rising time. This is a pretty time consuming recipe, but it's well worth it!
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough, and knead in garlic (you can put more, less or no garlic depending on your taste). Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- During the second rising, preheat the grill (or skillet) to high heat. A grill would be best, but if you don't have a grill ready to use, you can use a skillet, they just won't come out as pretty.
- At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.
Very good Naan! Had them tonight with butter chicken, dal, and raita. I broiled mine also tonight, but might try the grill the next. I didn't quite use all the flour either. Thanks for posting. This was easy and good!
I don't think I have to pay the high price of Naan ever again. Very easy to produce. I didn't need all of the flour in the end and I also skipped the last two ingredients. Baked them on my baking stone as well. I shaped them into ovals. They make really nice pizzas too. Thank you for posting it. :)
We really loved the flavor of this naan bread. The recipe was easy to follow resulting in a quick and easy to make recipe. The bread was perfect, soft tender and full of flavor just how we like it. Thanks so much for sharing a recipe that I will make again. Made for What's on the Menu? Tag Game.