1/7 Photos of Naan Bread
2 hrs 15 mins
This is a fabulous Madhur Jaffrey recipe...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, yeast and sugar in a bowl and pour in the hand-hot milk, oil, yoghurt and the beaten egg and mix it all together to form a ball of dough.
- 2Place the dough on to a clean surface and knead it for 10 minutes or more, until it is smooth and satiny.
- 3Pour about 1/4 tsp oil into a large bowl and roll the ball of dough in it.
- 4Cover the bowl with a piece of cling film and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- 5Pre-heat your oven to the highest temperature. Put the heaviest baking tray to heat in the oven.
- 6Punch down the dough and knead it again and divide into 9 equal balls.
- 7While working on 1 ball, keep the remaining balls covered. Flatten the ball using your hands (or rolling pin) into a tear-shaped naan, about 15 cm in length and about 12 cm at its widest. Brush the top with melted butter.
- 8Remove the hot baking tray from the oven, grease it well with butter or oil and place the naan on to it (I cook 4 naans in one batch).
- 9Put it into the oven on the top rack for 2-3 minutes. It should puff up and brown slightly (do keep an eye on it after 2 mins).
- 10Once puffed up and browned on one side, flip the naan and back into the oven again for another 1-2 minutes till the top of naan goes golden brown (keep an eye after 1 minute).
- 11Wrap the naans in a clean tea towel and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Naan Bread
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1275.3
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 107.1 mg
- Sodium 855.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 226.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 37.2 g