Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
My kids adore this bread. We use it with chicken curry as the spoon!! It would also work well with any salad or soup. I made this a couple months ago for my mom and dad and they devoured it.This is easily doubled. (For those who do not often work with bread, we add as much flour as needed to get a workable consistency, this is the original recipe I received...I just added more flour to mine.)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk (or yogurt)
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds or 1 tablespoon poppy seeds or 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- Combine 1 c flour, yeast, and salt, in a mixing bowl. Stir in water, buttermilk, egg, oil and honey one at a time. Beat until smooth in mixer.
- Stir in enough flour to form a soft sticky dough.
- Turn onto floured surface continuing to knead in flour to make dough smooth and elastic (this may require more than the 3-1/2 c listed)3-5 minute.
- Place in an oiled bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise till doubled - about 45 minutes.
- Punch down and shape into 16 equal balls.
- Roll out each to 1/4 inch thickness,place on greased cookie sheet (I used my fingers and just pulled them like pizza dough), brush with butter and sprinkle with one of the seed toppings.
- Cook 450 for 5-8 minutes.
Sorry to rate this so low, but I had the same problems that Sylvie and Linaray did. It was just too sticky, so I think the dry/wet ingredient ratio is way off. I guess the other reviewers who ranked this highly adjusted the recipe pretty severely, but if anyone follows this recipe AS IS, and even with a few adjustments, you definitely won't get naan. So, I am still looking for that elusive perfect recipe.
I made this to accompany Creamy Peanut Chicken Creamy Peanut Chicken. I used whole wheat flour and probably about a total of 4 1/2 to 5 cups. I used plain yogurt and topped the bread with seasme seeds. It was enjoyed by all.
I made naan last week using your recipe. They were the best I ever had. They were soft with a little crunch on the outside. EXCELLENT! I also loved the flavor and aroma from the yeast.A sure keeper. After reading reviews,I was careful how I used the ingredients and I did just fine.