Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from www.khanakhazana.com and is posted here in response to a request on the boards.
Make and share this Naan recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup milk (or water)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons onion seeds
- 1 teaspoon yeast (Dry)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt
- Whisk warm milk/water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved.
- Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and the yogurt.
- Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size.
- Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces.
- Roll each piece out into 8 inch round nans.
- Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil.
- Brush the nan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji.
- Cook Nan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.
Yummy! I used a pizza stone positioned close (3-4 inches) to the electric (grrr!) broiler coil. What is kalonji?
Really enjoyed the naan - used half semolina and half all purpose flour, added onion powder and garlic powder and a half teaspoon of garam masala - used a skillet on the stovetop with olive oil and they were great!
This was good, but not as soft as I would have liked.