1/20 Photos of Naan
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This naan is from the New Vegetarian Epicure. With just four ingredients and no yeast, it is simple to mix up, but it is so soft and flavorful I figured I'd add it to the many recipes already posted. Prep time does not include 1 hour of "resting."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 2Stir in the yogurt till the dough is too stiff for a spoon, then knead it in the bowl till it holds together well, adding more flour if necessary.
- 3Turn it out on a floured surface and continue kneading for about 5 minutes till the dough feels smooth and elastic.
- 4Form the dough into a ball and put it in an oiled bowl, covered with a towel, to rest for an hour or longer.
- 5Take the dough out and cut it into 10 equal pieces. Form each into a ball and press the balls flat into round discs.
- 6Heat a large frying pan or griddle, either seasoned cast iron or a good non-stick finish.
- 7Heat your oven to about 500 and have the broiler on (this is how the original recipe states it - I know with my oven it's either 500 degree oven OR the broiler, but you get the idea.
- 8Take 1 piece of dough at a time and roll it out on a floured surface till it is about 8-10 inches across and less than 1/4 inch thick.
- 9Lay it on the hot griddle and cook it over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes (I don't think mine took that long).
- 10It will puff up in places or all over, and there will be some blackish-brown spots on the bottom.
- 11Slide a spatula under the naan and transfer it to the oven, directly onto the rack, for a minute or two, just till it finishes puffing up into a balloon and begins to color lightly on top.
- 12Remove naan from the oven and brush it lightly with melted butter if you like.
- 13Continue this way with all the dough, stacking the breads into a napkin-lined basket.
- 14Serve the breads hot, fresh from the oven, or let them cool and wrap them up.
- 15To reheat, wrap them in aluminum foil, in packets of 4 or 5 breads and put them in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Naan
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.1
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 2.9 mg
- Sodium 304.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 7.7 g