Recipe by Len
Classic Irish Soda Bread
Top Review by Terri F.
This is great bread! The only thing I did differently is lower the heat to 325 at the end, and bake an additional 10 minutes. After 35 minutes at 375, the outside was done, but the middle was still very doughy. Thanks for posting this, I will make it again for sure.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 44.37 ml butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- 1 beaten egg (, with another in a separate cup)
- 118.29 ml raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine 1 beaten egg, raisins and buttermilk.
- Add to mixture above and stir until just moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently for 12 strokes.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape the mixture into a 6 inch round loaf and cut a cross (4 inches wide and ¼ inch deep) in the top.
- Brush with the other beaten egg.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 minutes or until golden.