Classic Irish Soda Bread
Make and share this N .y. C. Irish Soda Bread recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine 1 beaten egg, raisins and buttermilk.
- Add to mixture above and stir until just moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently for 12 strokes.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape the mixture into a 6 inch round loaf and cut a cross (4 inches wide and ¼ inch deep) in the top.
- Brush with the other beaten egg.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 minutes or until golden.