Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great carrot cake for large gathering. Great with cream cheese frosting.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins, plumped in
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple with juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare 13:" x 9" cake pan by spraying and lining bottom with parchment or wax paper.
- In medium bowl combine dry ingrediants except for sugars.
- Put raisans in shallow glass baking dish and cover with aprroximately 1/4 cup rum. Cover dish with plastic wrap and microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Set plumped raisans aside to cool.
- Grate carrots. Don't worry about packing them in the cup too firmly.
- Beat eggs until frothy. Add sugars gradually and beat for two minutes, scraping sides of bowl.
- Beat in oil and vanilla.
- On low spead gradually add in flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes, periodically scraping side of bowl with rubber spatula.
- Fold in carrots, raisons, walnuts and pineapple with its juice.
- Pour batter in 13" x 9" cake pan and bake 55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes in pan.
- Invert pan and cool cake on wire rack. Remove parchment or wax paper. Make sure you allow the cake to cool completely before frosting--at least 2 or 3 hours.