Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very easy to make Ritz crackers are the mystery
- 20 Ritz crackers, crushed fine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites, beaten stiff
- Add baking powder and sugar to beaten eggs and then beat again, fold in ritz crackers and chopped nuts.
- Bake in 9 inch ie pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let cool. Put in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve top with cool whip.
This is a classic pie from my childhood...my mom used to make it all the time. We loved serving it and having people guess what the "mystery ingredient" was. I have always made it with 2/3 cup chopped Walnuts and prefer this more bitter nut to the sweeter pecan to balance the sweetness of the rest of the pie. (my recipe also says 16 ritz crackers, but I doubt that makes too much of a difference.) I also always top it with fresh cream whipped from 1/2 pint of whipping cream. I'm so glad this recipe is posted here on zaar and hope that more people will give it a try...it is delicious (and so simple to make...why not give it a try?)