Recipe by ellie_
The ingredients in this recipe sound different than the usual ice cream recipe but this ice cream is delicious and a bit-out-of-the-ordinary. This is also a great way to use up left over bread and give your family a healthy and delicious treat. Prep time does not include refrigeration time (2-4 hours) or freezing time (overnight). Cook time includes processing time. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (April 1984)
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (or use whatever leftover bread you have available)
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar (or substitute brown sugar)
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature (or egg substitute)
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread bread crumbs on a baking sheet. Cover bread crumbs with 1/4 cup of the raw sugar (or brown sugar).
- Broil 6 inches from heat source about 1 minute or until crumbs brown and sugar starts to melt. Stir well and sprinkle with remaining (1/4 cup) raw sugar. Broil for another 1 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool to room temperature and then grind using the chopping blade in a food processor (or use a blender).
- In a large bowl and using an electric mixer beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Add powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time until whites are stiff and shiny.
- Beat in yolks, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl with clean beaters whip cream to soft peaks.
- Stir in vanilla and fold into egg mixture with reserved crumbs.
- Let cool in refrigerate (2-4 hours).
- Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Turn mixture into plastic container and freeze hard in freezer overnight (or for at least 4-6 hours).
- Soften ice cream in refrigerator before serving.