Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I clipped this recipe out of Redbook magazine. It is a tomato soup cake, but with an interesting twist. Can you guess the mystery ingredient?
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade (the mystery is solved!)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter, sugar, eggs, tomato soup, water, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger about 3 minutes until well blended, stopping mixer to scrape down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Pour batter into prepared pans,.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans to racks to cool completely.
- TO SERVE:.
- Place one cooled cake layer on serving platter; spread with the mystery ingredient (orange marmalade).
- Place remaining layer on top.
- In small bowl stir 2 tablespoons water into confectioners sugar until smooth.
- Using small spoon, drizzle glaze in decorative pattern over top of cake.