Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
With 5 kids in the family we had lots of leftover bread. I have sampled bread pudding in homes and 5 star restaurants from Chicago to Tampa to Hong Kong to New York and never found one with the same texture or flavor as Mom's!
- 4 cups chunks of old bread (No moldy!)
- 2 cups milk (Heat to scalding)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter (throw into hot milk)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon Amaretto or 1 teaspoon rum
- Mix all this stuff together.
- Pour into buttered casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until silver knife inserted in pudding comes out clean.
- Serve warm with whip cream, Cool Whip, or any favorite sauce.