Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Description:Courtesy of: Sweet Dreams Equipment: 2 cookie sheets, well greased, or lined with parchment paper or lined with nonstick baking mats), or nonstick cookie sheets: 1 for baking and 1 for dipping
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup egg white (from about 3 eggs)
- 12 ounces shredded sweetened coconut or 12 ounces flaked coconut
- 50 whole blanched almonds (optional)
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the sugar, egg whites and coconut together until well blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto 1 cookie sheet.
- Using your hands, pinch each coconut mound to form it into a small bar.
- If using almonds, press them gently into the top of the bars.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate.
- Working 1 at a time, drop the coconut bars into the chocolate and fish them out with a fork, shaking lightly to allow some of the excess chocolate to drip off.
- Place on the second cookie sheet and let the chocolate set until firm.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.