Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I called my dad up last night and asked about this recipe.. unfortunately he couldn't remember how he made it. So from the childhood taste memory I decided to try whipping it up. Tastes just like dad used to make on those cold winter nights at the cabin!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons beef broth (if needed)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- Cook Macaroni as directed on the package.
- While Macroni is cooking, in a large saucepan add oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Add onions, oregano, basil and taco seasoning. Cook for 2-3mins or until seasonings start sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Drain part of the juice from the tomatoes into the onion mixture and scrape up bits from pan.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add more tomatoe juice and beef broth if needed.
- Once beef is cooked add the rest of the canned tomatoes and heat through.
- Drain and add macaroni.
- Season to taste.
Made for Spring PAC 2008. I made this for lunch and my boys enjoyed it. I did change it a bit as I used crushed tomotoes instead of italian tomatoes because my one son doesn't like "chunks" of tomatoes in his food. This was quick and easy to make and was enjoyed.