Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I thought I lost my recipe and almost had a heart attack!! So here it is. I've been making this for years and every single one who tries the pickles absolutely love them. I hope you do too!
- 4 quarts cucumbers, medium size sliced (about 6lbs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, sliced (about 12-15 small white, about 1 lb)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 24 ice cubes
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 3 cups white vinegar
- Wash cucumbers thoroughly using a vegetable brush and drain on a rack.
- Slice unpeeled cucumbers into 1/8-1/4" thick slices. I use a food processor for this step.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Cover with ice cubes, allow to sit for 3 hours.
- Drain thoroughly, remove garlic.
- Combine sugar, spices and vinegar.
- Heat just to a boil.
- Add cucumbers and onions and heat 5 minutes.
- Pack loosely into clean, pint jars. Adjust lids.
- Process in a boiling waterbath for 5 minutes.
- Start to count processing time as soon as the water returns to boiling.
- Times are approximate.
Best bread and butter pickle recipe I've found. The pickles are crisp and flavorful. This will definitely be my standing recipe.
perfect recipe, the pickles are really crisp and tasty.
Thanks for a great recipe!! wil make often.