Recipe by Chill
I thought I lost my recipe and almost had a heart attack!! So here it is. I've been making this for years and every single one who tries the pickles absolutely love them. I hope you do too!
- 4 quarts cucumbers, medium size sliced (about 6lbs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, sliced (about 12-15 small white, about 1 lb)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 24 ice cubes
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 3 cups white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash cucumbers thoroughly using a vegetable brush and drain on a rack.
- Slice unpeeled cucumbers into 1/8-1/4" thick slices. I use a food processor for this step.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Cover with ice cubes, allow to sit for 3 hours.
- Drain thoroughly, remove garlic.
- Combine sugar, spices and vinegar.
- Heat just to a boil.
- Add cucumbers and onions and heat 5 minutes.
- Pack loosely into clean, pint jars. Adjust lids.
- Process in a boiling waterbath for 5 minutes.
- Start to count processing time as soon as the water returns to boiling.
- Times are approximate.