1/1 Photo of (My Way of ) Steamed Cabbage
Marsha D.'s Note:
I remember when I was growing up watching my great aunt cook and listening to all her tips on cooking and was thinking about her fried cabbage.... so this morning (new years day) I decided to use up the cabbage I had left in the refrigerator. I added my own touch to my aunts way of steaming. She just usually steamed her cabbage in bacon grease, I like to kick my food up just a notch! :) The measurements in this recipe might be off a bit but the main thing is getting the flavor of the spices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced and chopped
- 1 teaspoon margarine (I use I Can't Believe Its Not Butter)
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to your taste (I use Accent)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Johnny's seasoning salt)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Pam cooking spray (cooking sray)
- 1In a large frying pan on medium heat, spray pan with Pam.
- 2Add bacon grease, turn heat down.
- 3Add butter and sauté onion and mushrooms in grease. (this will caramelize).
- 4Add rest of seasonings (pepper, beau monde, salt or accent and cayenne pepper opt.).
- 5Add shredded cabbage, stir well to blend seasoning.
- 6Cover with lid and steam on low for 20 minutes or until tender.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for (My Way of ) Steamed Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.6
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 349.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beau monde seasoning