Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I remember when I was growing up watching my great aunt cook and listening to all her tips on cooking and was thinking about her fried cabbage.... so this morning (new years day) I decided to use up the cabbage I had left in the refrigerator. I added my own touch to my aunts way of steaming. She just usually steamed her cabbage in bacon grease, I like to kick my food up just a notch! :) The measurements in this recipe might be off a bit but the main thing is getting the flavor of the spices.
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced and chopped
- 1 teaspoon margarine (I use I Can't Believe Its Not Butter)
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to your taste (I use Accent)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Johnny's seasoning salt)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Pam cooking spray (cooking sray)
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, spray pan with Pam.
- Add bacon grease, turn heat down.
- Add butter and sauté onion and mushrooms in grease. (this will caramelize).
- Add rest of seasonings (pepper, beau monde, salt or accent and cayenne pepper opt.).
- Add shredded cabbage, stir well to blend seasoning.
- Cover with lid and steam on low for 20 minutes or until tender.
Sorry I just didn't care for this dish. It wasn't bad it just wasn't for me. I think it was all those spices. I didn't care for the beau monde seasoning. The salt and seasoning salt made it a little more salty than I cared for. Glad I tried it though.
Very tasty cabbage! I cut back on the pepper for our tastes and didn't have mushrooms for this first attempt. I'll definitely make this again - this recipe really reminds me of my mother's Southern cooking. Thanks for sharing.
This recipe is exactly how I do my cabbage only I use crushed red pepper flakes and sliced onion and bell peppers. delish