This is my husband's favorite casserole and mine too. I always bake two extra chicken breast just so I can make this casserole. You can add a cooked fresh green veggie if you like to the casserole, but we prefer it plain and simple... and so do children. Instead have a nice green salad, veggie on the side and some garlic bread.
- 2 (12 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 skin on cooked chicken breasts, cut in large slices (bones removed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, sliced and cut into chunks
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh italian basil
- 1 teaspoon chicken soup base, paste (note Smart & Final store has this item.) (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb linguine, cooked firm drained and coated with
- olive oil
- In a sauce pan combine all ingredients except the sour cream and linguine pasta.
- Stir several times over medium/low heat until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and add the sour cream and blend well.
- NOTE: You can add fresh cooked veggies and your special spices at this time.
- In a bowl blend together the pasta and 1/2 of the sauce and pour into a 9X13 baking dish.
- Set aside the other 1/2 sauce and cover with a lid.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Note: The extra sauce is to be served warmed up in a bowl or individual small bowls and used like a gravy spooned over the finished casserole servings.
- Sprinkle of grated Parmesan is always a nice touch.