This is so popular and loved by all. When two of my brother's 20 year old friends came to stay, I had to make 3 just to keep them happy. They obviously eat a lot though and 1 is plenty.
- Grease a 14cm x 21cm loaf tin.
- Cream butter and sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy, preferably with an electric mixer.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and transfer the mixture into a large bowl. Stir in mashed banana (it's easiest to mash it with a fork).
- Stir in half sifted dry ingredients and half sour cream and milk; stir well.
- Stir in remaining dry ingredients and sour cream; stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake in a moderate over for about 1 hour. Stand for five minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Melt butter and sugar, stir constantly without boiling for two minutes.
- Add sour cream, bring to boil. Remove from heat, stir in sifted icing sugar. Ice immediately as it sets very quickly.