Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so popular and loved by all. When two of my brother's 20 year old friends came to stay, I had to make 3 just to keep them happy. They obviously eat a lot though and 1 is plenty.
- 125 g butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (3 bananas)
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- Grease a 14cm x 21cm loaf tin.
- Cream butter and sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy, preferably with an electric mixer.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and transfer the mixture into a large bowl. Stir in mashed banana (it's easiest to mash it with a fork).
- Stir in half sifted dry ingredients and half sour cream and milk; stir well.
- Stir in remaining dry ingredients and sour cream; stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake in a moderate over for about 1 hour. Stand for five minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Melt butter and sugar, stir constantly without boiling for two minutes.
- Add sour cream, bring to boil. Remove from heat, stir in sifted icing sugar. Ice immediately as it sets very quickly.
This recipe is the best ever! This "cake", after adding chopped walnuts to the batter and baking in a loaf pan, reminds me of the delicious banana "bread" that Bob Evans Restaurants serve. It is good served as banana bread dusted with powdered sugar or when served as banana cake with Caramel Icing. mmmm good!