Recipe by Annie_InTheMarmalade
Try it and discover yourself =). If you are a vegan, you can simply eliminate the meat part in this recipe and walaaa!! A Vegetarian version of the spring roll! Hope you like it.
For the filling
- 3 shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 50 g mince meat (I use veal but you could use your preference meats)
- 100 g bean sprouts, trim away the root parts
- 100 g cabbage, finely chopped
- 100 g carrots, cut into matchstick shape
- 50 g rice noodles, soak in hot water for couple minutes till tender and pliable (follow the package instructions)
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for stir frying
- salt and black pepper
Peanut Sauce Ingredients
- 10 candle nuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 big red chilies (medium or hot, suit to your own preferences)
- 100 g fried peanuts (skin on)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 250 ml water (the sauce should look not too watery)
- 12 frozen spring rolls, skin I use the biggest size about 20cm x 20cm (you may use a smaller one and yields more)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch, mix it with a bit of water till become a mixture this will be use as a glue to prevent ingredients t
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the filling:.
- Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat and stir fry the shallots and garlic in the pan till aromatic.
- Then add the mince meats and continue stirring till the meat change color.
- Put all the remaining ingredients into the pan one at each time.
- Stir fry till all the ingredients are cooked and set aside. Let cool down to room temperature before start to wrap.
- Making the peanut sauce:.
- Heat some oil in the pan (but not too much) and fry the candle nuts, garlic and chillies till a bit brown (but be careful not to burn them).
- Using a blender or food processor, put all the ingredients together and process them till combine well ( I usually just pulse them in the food processor till combine, cause I still want a bit chunk of nuts in my sauce. Love the crunch).
- The sauce is ready!
- To make the spring rolls:.
- In a flat surface, place one wrapper in a diamond position and take about 2 tbsp of the filling (make sure you drain the water a little bit from the filling before you put it on the wrapper, it's just the juice that come out from the veggies). Place the filling about 4-5 cm from the point edge and roll it up once to cover the fillings. Fold the left and right into the middle part and continue roll up till you reach the end bits. Before you roll up to the last end bits, with your hand, brush a little of the tapioca starch and water mixture at the edges of the wrapper and roll up. First spring roll is ready!
- Repeat till finish.
- Heat a quite large amount of oil (or you could use shallow frying as well if you decide not to waste so much oil at once, as long as your oil cover all parts of the spring rolls when you fry them. But I find that deep frying is the best way to achieve a delicious spring roll as you get the spring rolls to cook evenly in all sides.
- When to oil is hot, fry the spring rolls about 2-3 minutes or till golden brown. Don't crowd them! Drain them in paper towel.
- Ready to serve with the peanut sauce alongside.