Recipe by HeidiSue
I've been working on this one for awhile and it's finally just how we like it. It's a little spicy and a little sweet. If you like it less spicy just omit the crushed red pepper flakes, you can always add some in later if you want to spice it up a bit. Cook time is maximum amount on low in the crockpot.
Top Review by Comfort Cookin'
This sauce recipe is fantastic! It will replace the standard sauce recipe I have been using. The hub and I had this recipe after a day of hiking and could not get enough. Just the right amount of sweet and spicy. I made a few modifications - a half pound of ground mild Italian sausage instead of links, 1/4 cup of sugar only and 1-2 tsp kosher salt. Thank you!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 -8 links mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushhed
- 29 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 12 ounces canned tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sauasage links in a fry pan over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until nice and brown.
- Using the same sauce pan add the onions and hamburger and cook until hamburger is browned.
- Mix all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles with fresh parmasean cheese.
- Freezes well!