Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
I've been working on this one for awhile and it's finally just how we like it. It's a little spicy and a little sweet. If you like it less spicy just omit the crushed red pepper flakes, you can always add some in later if you want to spice it up a bit. Cook time is maximum amount on low in the crockpot.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 -8 links mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushhed
- 29 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 12 ounces canned tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Brown sauasage links in a fry pan over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until nice and brown.
- Using the same sauce pan add the onions and hamburger and cook until hamburger is browned.
- Mix all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles with fresh parmasean cheese.
- Freezes well!
This sauce recipe is fantastic! It will replace the standard sauce recipe I have been using. The hub and I had this recipe after a day of hiking and could not get enough. Just the right amount of sweet and spicy. I made a few modifications - a half pound of ground mild Italian sausage instead of links, 1/4 cup of sugar only and 1-2 tsp kosher salt. Thank you!
This IS a wonderful recipe! I've tried many spaghetti sauce recipes. This one is not at all complicated, only takes a few minutes of chopping & browning, then all in the crockpot for a few hours ... couldn't be easier. My grocer packs his italian sausages in pound packets, so that's what went into my sauce ... 1 lb. each of both ground beef & italian sausage. I also added a chopped green pepper and a 10-oz. tin of sliced mushrooms when the chopped onion went into the skillet. In addition, I used 5 garlic cloves, rather than 2, but omitted the powdered garlic, as I hadn't any. The quantity of black & red pepper looked a bit scary to me, but I used the total quantity and it was not overpowering due to the addition of the sugar as well as the quantity of the sauce ... made a full "crock". Thanks! I'll definitely make this again in future.
I made this last night while I slept. How easy is that. Changes I made are as follows: Used 5 links of mild Italian Sausage as that is how they are packaged in my market. I used fresh tomatoes for the crushed by heating them and mashing them with my potato masher. I will probably decrease the sugar to 1/3 cup as it is pretty sweet and I only used 1 teas. crushed red pepper flakes. It is yummo