Recipe by Hajar Elizabeth
This is one of the things I make which has been the most requested. My mother always used to and will again nearly beg for me to make this and bring it over especially if she is baking a ham. Nobody has ever complained and this is one of my high comfort foods. I will eat even bad macaroni and cheese! At school everyone threw theirs away while I was gobbling it down! Ah, no.....I wasn't one of the most popular kids in school! The onion in this must be grated as it almost melts in. This is most definitely NOT a slimmer's dish but yummy when you need it! It also is not based upon a white sauce and does not have a smooth sauce but is just good. Most of the time nobody knows it is the onion making the difference and always ask why it is better than their own.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 24 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese or 24 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated onion
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 4 ounces butter, 1 stick cut into chunks
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni firm; very al dente and pour into crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours stirring every 2 hours. I usually find that 4 hours is enough time but like to leave it a bit longer as I love the baked cheese around the edges.
- Salt to taste as the cheese contains salt. I use the higher amount of onion though if you are leery, use the 1/4 cup. Actually I usually just grate 1/2 an onion.
- I have corrected an error in this recipe. I had said 4-6 hours cooking time and I have no clue why! LOL. I have always always only ever cooked this 4 hours!