Recipe by HeidiSue
My husband and I worked on this recipe for years before it came to this and it is wonderful. He doesn't like me to share it with anyone, but I know you won't tell!
Top Review by iris5555
Nicely flavored chowder. I used low fat milk rather than cream in an effort to lighten things up a bit. Even with the milk, it was still good (though I know the cream would have been better). The clam base I used was really quite salty and I think I would use less of that next time.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled & diced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans minced clams, in liquid
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon of better than boulion clam base
- salt & pepper
- bread, scooped out into bowls,to serve in
- parsley, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in a little oil until soft (7-8 minutes).
- Add the potatoes to the onions and continue to saute a few minutes more and set mixture aside.
- In a med-large size pot melt the butter over medium heat add the flour and mix well- but be sure not to burn.
- Add bottled clam juice and the juice from the canned clams (set the clams aside).
- Add the wine and clam base and mix well.
- Add the potato and onion mixture and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and bring it to a soft consistent boil.
- Boil for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft checking them frequently as to not over cook.
- Add heavy whipping cream and clams and reheat.
- Add salt& pepper to taste.