Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I like this cause you just toss everything together in a pot or a slow cooker and that's it. You can switch out any beans, and switch out corn for hominy. However, this is the way we like it at our house. I use as many low sodium or no salt products I can find, just to control the sodium content. This soup is spicy made like this recipe. To tone down the heat, use the mild or Mexican Rotel and mild chili beans. I make my own taco seasoning too (recipe is posted), so I swap that out for the envelope to taste. The leftovers freeze very well!
- 1 lb chicken, ground
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, petitie dice
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes & chilies, hot
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can hot chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry ranch dressing mix
- Cook the ground chicken, diced onion, and pepper together until the chicken is done. I cook this all in the soup pot for a one pot meal -- less clean up!
- Add the remaining ingredients into the soup pot. NOTE: I use frozen baby lima beans, and measure them in an empty bean can. I use one can of frozen beans for the recipe, but feel free to sub out another bean. I also add 2 of the tomato sauce cans full of water to the pot at this time.
- Bring to a boil and stir this all together, and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Cover the pot and simmer on medium heat for about 60 minutes.
- ALSO: you can put everything into a crockpot on low for about 6-8 hours or on high for about 3-4.
- Topping Ideas: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, diced avocado, pico de gallo, sour cream, or all of the above :).