Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was recommended to me. Personally I am not a sweet and sour person but this recipe changed my taste buds. I made a few changes and put it in my recipe book to make again.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and reserve juice
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- Combine 1/3c.
- cornstarch,2 slightly beaten eggs and salt in a medium size bowl.
- Cube up chicken breast and place in cornstarch mixture.
- Mix well and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Deep fry chicken at 400' degrees until browned.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet on medium heat add Cancola Oil.
- Saute in green peppers and onions until onions are lightly browned.
- Add brown sugar,vinegar,catsup, 2Tbsp.
- cornstarch,soy sauce,Teriyaki sauce,sesame oil and pineapple juice.
- Mix well and simmer over medium heat until thicken.
- Add pineapple,cherries and fried chicken chunks to pan and stir until sauce covers chicken.
This was a very colorful dish and the chicken was lovely! I served it over white rice. We really enjoyed all the different textures this had to offer but we did find it to be a touch too sweet. Next time I think I will cut back on the sugar a touch and maybe increase the soy sauce. A little more sour for the sweet. Wonderful Saturday night feast! Thanks for sharing it with us Marsha D.!