Recipe by Marsha D.
I love using panko bread crumbs. I usually fry yellow squash with cornmeal but decided I would try these bread crumbs. They turned out good so I thought I would share my recipe with you. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by ocdbaker
My panko breadcrumbs didn't stick to the squash, I'm not sure what went wrong....maybe less milk and more egg next time? I just sprinkled the fried bread crumbs on top of the fried squash, so it kinda worked, lol! I'll try again, and give an updated review.
- 3 -4 yellow squash, sliced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces panko breadcrumbs
- canola oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet or electric skillet, heat about a 1/4 of a inch deep of oil.
- In a bowl,add egg, buttermilk and 2% milk, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- In another bowl add panko bread crumbs, set aside.
- Slice yellow squash to your desired thickness and place slices in the milk mixture and coat well.
- Dip one slice of squash into bread crumbs and place in heated oil. Make sure you lay the squash in a single layer to fry. Repeat process til you fill the skillet.
- Brown one side on medium heat for 3-4 minutes and turn to brown other side of squash for another 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Drain on paper towel and serve.