Recipe by Mirj
English rice pudding is usually much creamier than American rice pudding. The original recipe belongs to Evelyn Rose from her latest book, my friend Cara did a few personal alterations and of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. Prep time includes just letting the rice soak in the cream.
Top Review by puppitypup
This is sooooo good! I was a little short on the light cream, so I made up the difference with low-fat milk and heavy cream. I also took a shortcut on cooking it. I put it in the combination fast bake in my convection microwave. I realize this is probably supposed to be a dessert, but it made a sinfully delicious breakfast!
- 1⁄3 cup short-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups light cream (about 15% fat)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice in cold water and drain well.
- Use half the butter to grease a 4 cup pudding dish.
- Put the cream, salt and the rice in the dish and leave for one hour to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Stir the sugar into the rice and add the remaining butter cut into tiny pieces.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Scatter with nutmeg.
- Bake for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally for the first hour and then leave to allow a golden brown topping to form.