Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
English rice pudding is usually much creamier than American rice pudding. The original recipe belongs to Evelyn Rose from her latest book, my friend Cara did a few personal alterations and of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. Prep time includes just letting the rice soak in the cream.
- Wash the rice in cold water and drain well.
- Use half the butter to grease a 4 cup pudding dish.
- Put the cream, salt and the rice in the dish and leave for one hour to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Stir the sugar into the rice and add the remaining butter cut into tiny pieces.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Scatter with nutmeg.
- Bake for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally for the first hour and then leave to allow a golden brown topping to form.
This is sooooo good! I was a little short on the light cream, so I made up the difference with low-fat milk and heavy cream. I also took a shortcut on cooking it. I put it in the combination fast bake in my convection microwave. I realize this is probably supposed to be a dessert, but it made a sinfully delicious breakfast!