Recipe by Elmotoo
I think once upon a time I followed a recipe but I can't find one that matches what's in my head anywhere. My 14yo (THE PICKY ONE) says this is her FAVORITE dish. THAT is the biggest compliment of all. :) This recipe served the 4 of us, including 2nd helpings, with not a lot left over.
Top Review by Dessert Dawn
Wow..I made this for the family and grandkids and it was a total hit! I put 1/2 a large cabbage, 2 cans diced tomatoes (one was fire roasted with garlic) and a can of chicken broth..I left out the rice but had two pounds of sweet italian sausage and about 10 ounces of hot italian sausage..cut up the sausage but left it in big chunks..it was REALLY good.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 lb bulk italian sweet sausage
- 1 lb bulk italian hot sausage
- 1 cup white rice (not instant)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1 small cabbage (8-12c chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in 4qt. Dutch oven. Add onion & sausage; cook until meat is cooked, breaking it up into small bits.
- Add rice, tomatoes & chicken broth. Stir well to combine & simmer 15 minutes.
- Add raisins, brown sugar, vinegar, salt & pepper. Stir well.
- Add cabbage & stir well to combine. Cover pot & simmer on low 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender and cabbage is tender-crisp.
- Stir again & serve. Enjoy!