This is an inexpensive, hearty, and satisfying meal. Made with ingredients that are most always on hand, this casserole is the perfect meal solution on nights you just don't feel like going to the grocery store. I sometimes add frozen peas and some diced, cooked carrots to the mixture before baking, to make this a delicious 'all in one' dinner. The buttery crumb topping provides a nice, crunchy contrast to the creamy filling. Enjoy !!
- 12 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
- 1 (13 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, divided.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup saltine crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, cooked and diced,optional
- In small bowl, combine melted butter and crushed saltines and set aside to use for topping.
- Combine 1 and 1/2 cans of soup, milk, salt, and pepper in large bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except saltines), combine well, and pour into in a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Sprinkle buttered saltine crumbs all over the top, and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.