Recipe by Roxanne J.R.
This is a recipe I have grown up eating. It is like a staple in our country and while there must be many versions out there - this is my simple and tasty version. It is great eaten alone with some ketchup and hot sauce or served with rice, stewed chicken and a green salad for a complete meal.
- 680.38 g cassava (can use freshly peeled or frozen) or 680.38 g yucca root (can use freshly peeled or frozen)
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves (depending on taste)
- 5 roma tomatoes (very ripe)
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- water (to boil cassava or yucca root)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cassava/yucca pieces in a large pot and cover completely with water.
- Place pot over medium heat and boil cassava/yucca pieces till they are a little more than fork tender (this may take 30 minutes or more - depending on the cassava pieces. Some take longer than others).
- NOTE: Check the cassava while it is boiling during the 30 minutes. If it isn't soft enough but needs more water, feel free to add more.
- While the cassava/yucca is boiling, prep other ingredients.
- Chop one medium onion into strips, chop 4-5 garlic cloves and de-seed the roma tomatoes and chop into 8 pieces each. Place all into a bowl.
- When cassava/yucca is soft enough, drain in a colander and place an iron pot on the heat and add in 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- When the oil is heated a bit, throw in the chopped onions, garlic and tomatoes. Stir these regularly for the next 3-5 minutes.
- The onions should become soft and translucent, the garlic should be slightly soft and the tomatoes should be almost disintegrated except for the skin.
- Add in the boiled cassava/yucca and stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
- While incorporating, try breaking apart the cassava/yucca even more with your spoon. The end product should be semi-smooth, semi-chunky.
- If it seems a bit dry, add in more oil - but this should not be necessary.
- Add in salt (to your taste) and stir well to incorporate evenly.
- Turn off heat and now you are ready eat!