1/1 Photo of My Trini Style Boiled and Fried Cassava (Yucca)
Roxanne J.R.'s Note:
This is a recipe I have grown up eating. It is like a staple in our country and while there must be many versions out there - this is my simple and tasty version. It is great eaten alone with some ketchup and hot sauce or served with rice, stewed chicken and a green salad for a complete meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the cassava/yucca pieces in a large pot and cover completely with water.
- 2Place pot over medium heat and boil cassava/yucca pieces till they are a little more than fork tender (this may take 30 minutes or more - depending on the cassava pieces. Some take longer than others).
- 3NOTE: Check the cassava while it is boiling during the 30 minutes. If it isn't soft enough but needs more water, feel free to add more.
- 4While the cassava/yucca is boiling, prep other ingredients.
- 5Chop one medium onion into strips, chop 4-5 garlic cloves and de-seed the roma tomatoes and chop into 8 pieces each. Place all into a bowl.
- 6When cassava/yucca is soft enough, drain in a colander and place an iron pot on the heat and add in 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- 7When the oil is heated a bit, throw in the chopped onions, garlic and tomatoes. Stir these regularly for the next 3-5 minutes.
- 8The onions should become soft and translucent, the garlic should be slightly soft and the tomatoes should be almost disintegrated except for the skin.
- 9Add in the boiled cassava/yucca and stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
- 10While incorporating, try breaking apart the cassava/yucca even more with your spoon. The end product should be semi-smooth, semi-chunky.
- 11If it seems a bit dry, add in more oil - but this should not be necessary.
- 12Add in salt (to your taste) and stir well to incorporate evenly.
- 13Turn off heat and now you are ready eat!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Trini Style Boiled and Fried Cassava (Yucca)
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.5
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 3.4 g