Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is very tasty. Sort of a "Grown-Up" verson... I gave it 5 stars!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups onions (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (drained well)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese (softened)
- 1⁄2 lb pecorino romano cheese (grated)
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Heat butter in a pot.
- Add onions and garlic. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, rosemary, basil, honey and sherry. Bring to a boil. Redcue. Cover. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Puree in batches. Return to pot.
- Whisk in the cheeses until blended and creamy.
- Heat through. Season.
Excellent soup. Made it to accompany some sandwiches for lunch yesterday and we were very pleased with the rich flavour - the addition of sherry really boosted already good flavour. I was also very pleased with how fast and easy this was to make. This goes into my keeper file to be enjoyed many, many times again.