This is sort of a combination of some of the recipes that I've seen on 'Zaar. I adapted it to what I had on hand. DH was pretty skeptical, but he warned to the idea after first taste.
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion salt (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 slices cheese
- 1 roma tomato, sliced fairly thick
- Prepare the tuna salad by combining tuna, mayonnaise, relish, celery salt, onion salt, and black pepper. Taste and season again, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, toast three slices of bread. (I used Mrs. Baird's Acti-Fiber bread and 2 slices of Honey Wheat bread for DH; really this is a go-with-your-favorite option.) Toasting the bread is extremely important! Don't skip the step.
- Place toast on a cookie sheet. Spread tuna salad on each slice.
- Top each piece of toast with 2 slices roma tomato. Grind fresh black pepper over each slice.
- Cover with cheese. DH used American singles, and I used Pepper Jack. Both were great!
- Set oven to Broil with rack around six inches from the burner. Broil the sandwiches until cheese is "melty and bubbly." Don't turn your back on the oven--the sandwiches go from melty and bubbly to black and burnt in a snap!
- We served this with barbecue potato chips and yogurt for dessert.