1 hr 30 mins
Chef Jean Louise's Note:
This recipe has evolved over a number of years from a chili recipe that I think my Mom (Chef PaulaG) got from a *Make a Mix* cookbook. It takes a while to prepare, but I think it's well worth it. It works in the slow-cooker (if you have a big one). You can substitute leftover pulled pork for the ground meat for a tasty variation. I usually serve it over mac and cheese with cornbread. You can freeze this in portions if you are a once-a-month cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans ranch style beans (or chili starter beans)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle stout beer
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 4 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (can substitute ground turkey or vegetarian alternative)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 whole red onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1Combine all of the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, baking chocolate and stout in a very large stew pot and set them to simmer over medium heat.
- 2Combine all of the dry ingredients (flour through cayenne pepper) in a small dish, mixing well.
- 3Brown the ground beef with the seasoning mix, drain and add to the pot.
- 4Saute the peppers, onion and garlic in the pan used to brown the meat over medium heat until onion is translucent and the peppers just begin to brown around the edges, add to the pot.
- 5Simmer the chili over low heat for at least an hour before serving, the longer the better.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Take on Texas Chili
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.7
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 796.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 33.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: