Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was something a freind and myself tryed and it was really good and fun to make. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1 (12 inch) prepared pizza crust or 1 lb fresh pizza dough
- 1 lb pastrami
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, sliced (or 1 package of pre sliced swiss cheese)
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle Russian salad dressing
- 1 (8 ounce) jar sauerkraut (small bottle)
- Roll out the pizza dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Drain the sauerkraut. In a small bowl add the sauerkraut and enough Dressing to cover it. Spread a thin layer of the dressing on the crust top with a layer of the meat, cheese and sauerkraut mixture. Layer until all is gone should have about 3 layers. Top with more dressing if you would like. Roll up jelly roll sytle. Bake in a 350 degree oven until brown about 10 15 minute Let rest for 5 minute Cut and enjoy!
I just finished making and eating this recipe, and as a fan of the Ruben Sandwich I must say I am not disappointed. I prefer corned beef instead of pastrami so I used that as well as shredding my swiss instead of slicing it. Also, the post from Brenda is right on as I needed to let mine cook a bit more as well. I cooked it at 400 for about 10min and then 300 for another 10 min, was a bit doughy but Ive a feeling I just did not drain the sauerkraut enough before mixing in the dressing. Very Tasty, Very Easy, Well worth the 40min overall from start to finish (Including one ornery sauerkraut container!)
This was a fast dinner and quite tastey as well. Mine was a little doughy inside but I will remember to bake it a little longer next time. What I love about this recipe is everything I bought to make it had a shelf life of about 30 days. I used vacuum packaged pastrami and cheese. My pizza dough was a 13 oz can from the dairy section. I love having things like this on hand for nights I am busy. Be sure to leave at least 1 inch all the way when adding your filling so the dough will stick to itself when sealing the roll. Mine was not pretty because I got the dressing too close to the edge and it didn't seal tightly.