As my grandmother became ill and it was clear she wasn't going to live much longer, I used to lay in the bed talking to her and jotted down the recipes she would tell me from memory. This was always one of my favorites, and I still recall the day she told me how to make the pie. I simply couldn't believe that she could recall so many recipes. To this day, I only wish I had began asking when I was a child so I could have the collection of recipes to go with all of the food memories she gave me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat over to 325 degrees.
- 2Peel and boil the potatoes in water until tender.
- 3Drain and mash the potatoes well with the stick of butter and 1/2 cup sugar.
- 4Taste; add the rest of the sugar if not sweet enough.
- 5Mix in the eggs and cinnamon (or allspice).
- 6Add the evaporated milk into the mixture until it appears loose. It may or may not require all of the canned milk.
- 7Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- 8Bake until middle is set.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Sweet Grandmother's Sweet Potato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.1
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 182.3 mg
- Sodium 334.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 9.6 g