Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I needed some sauce and quick! I am not a fan of the jarred stuff...plus I didn't want to go to the store. This is a rendition of my favorite sauce My Very Best Spaghetti Sauce, just made simple and it doesn't have to cook all day.
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar (please adjust to your taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (please adjust to your taste)
- Throw it all in a sauce pan, stir, simmer, cover and continue to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Season again to taste.
- **we like a spicy sweet sauce -- so please adjust the sugar and crushed red to your liking**.
Promised the kids spaghetti last night but didn't know we had no jarred sauce. Googled EASY spaghetti sauce recipe and was delighted to find this. I threw together some meatballs (ground beef, chopped onion, egg, breadcrumbs, etc.) on the side, added a tiny bit of red balsamic vinegar and Wow! I loved it. My 15 year old asked for a little less HOT next time but I really liked it just the way it was. Thank you!
I've made this twice now, the last time doubling it for a Christmas Eve get-together. I use petite diced tomatoes and adjust sugar/red pepper to our tastes. I pair it with Basic Meatballs Basic Meatballs. It's all just so incredibly easy and delicious. Even my husband, who thinks "real" spaghetti sauce only comes in a jar, kept commenting on how good it was. This is now one of my favorite meals to make. Thanks for the recipe.
This was so simple and really saved my bacon. I forgot to get the marinara our local Italian restaurant sells at the grocery store, for spaghetti night. I did tweek it with a little olive oil and more seasonings! I think it turned out better than the stuff I usually buy! I didn't have any tomato paste but i just cooked it a little longer and it thickened just fine! A keeper!