Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is my basic easy lasagna. I either use homemade sauce or a really good quality store bought brand. There are four types of cheese in this recipe. If you like things spicy, by all means add a bit of crushed red pepper to the sauce or use spicy sausage. If I am adding sausage, I prefer to use mild turkey sausage in this, but it tastes really good with just ground beef too.
Top Review by donnie27
This is exactly the way I have made my casserole for years. I also use Italian turkey sausage, sometimes cooked and sliced or ground (cooked). I don't know that real Italian chefs prepare it this way, but we all love it. So glad to see you posted this.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (or mix ground beef with Italian sausage meat)
- garlic powder, to taste
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce (a meat flavored version, homemade is best, but bottled is ok too)
- 1 (15 ounce) container light ricotta cheese (or small curd cottage cheese, drained well)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 -2 large egg
- parsley, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles, cooked until just soft, approximately
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a deep 9x13" casserole, spread just a couple of spoonfuls of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Brown meat in a skillet until fully cooked; drain fat.
- Combine the cooked meat with the rest of the spaghetti sauce and a few shakes of garlic powder, heat until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, half of the shredded mozzarella cheese, the Parmesan cheese, the eggs, a few liberal shakes of garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Place a layer of lasagna noodles in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, then pour some of the meat sauce, spreading to cover evenly.
- Spread some of the cheese mixture on top of that, then top with another layer of noodles.
- Repeat layers until you have used up all of your filling.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over the top, then place the slices of provolone cheese on top, leaving some gaps.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, leaving covered, set on top of the stove and let rest 20-30 minutes.
- While the lasagna is resting, you can pop in a loaf of garlic bread wrapped partially in foil.