Recipe by khott13
A great combination of all of the Baked Ziti recipes from here and Allrecipes.com. Can add Provolone cheese if desired and substitute ground beef or mild Italian sausage. Can also add more hot sausage to make it spicier
Top Review by Jeannine S.
This was incredibly good. We were out of pre-made spaghetti sauce and I didn't feel like peeling tomatoes, so we used a 28 oz. can of dized tomatoes instead, and was very liberal with the garlic and spices to add the flavor I was missing by not having spaghetti sauce. We also used fresh herbs instead of dried. This recipe is AMAZING!
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, browned (with casings removed)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 28 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and chopped with juice
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook Ziti according to package directions (al dente is preferred).
- In a large skillet, cook the Sausage, Onions and Garlic in Olive Oil until the sausage is browned.
- Add Spaghetti Sauce, Tomato, Tomato Paste, Chicken Broth, Rosemary and Oregano.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix Ricotta, Egg, and Parsley in a large bowl.
- Mix 1/3 of the sausage mixture with the cooked Ziti pasta.
- Place half of the Ziti mixture in a 13x9x2 in baking dish.
- In the following order, spread the Ricotta mixture over the Ziti, followed by half of the Parmesan and Mozarella cheeses, and then an additional 1/3 of the sausage mixture.
- Then layer the rest of the Ziti, remaining sausage mixture, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese, finishing with the Basil.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.