Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I have made my sauce this way for years. It is very easy and I think really good. The Italian dressing mix is the key--the longer this simmers the better it is, but it can be made quickly too. I have also made it in the crock pot!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or more)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (2/3 ounce) envelopezesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 (4 ounce) jar mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (32 ounce) boxfrozen italian meatballs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- garlic powder
- olive oil
- In olive oil sauté onion, red pepper and garlic till soft.
- Add Italian dressing mix; stir.
- Add cans of tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes.
- Stir in basil and pepper and garlic powder.
- Let simmer--the longer the better stirring often.
- Towards the end, add the meatballs and simmer till they are done.
- Stir in mushrooms.
This is a VERY good pasta sauce! Very easy to throw together. I put it all in the crockpot and cooked on low for 8 hours. A great meal to come home to! I added italian sauages for another meal of bombers and was very happy I did. I will make this again!
Donna, Now who woulda thunk it!!! Italian salad dressing mix!!! And this was sooooo good.I made it for cheese ravioli's so didn't need the meatball part.We loved this sauce. Thanks,Darlene
This was very easy to prepare and the taste was excellent. I used two 28 oz jars of prepared spaghetti sauce instead of the canned tomato sauce (I didn't have any). I made this in my crockpot so I didn't precook the onions and peppers. I just put 8 oz. of sliced fresh mushrooms, peppers and onions in the bottom of the crockpot and put the sauce on top and sprinkled the packet of basil vigarette salad dressing mix (had no italian) and a few bay leaves along with the other spices. I put the frozen meatballs in along with the sauce and cooked all day. It was a nice easy meal to come home too. Thanks for posting Donna!