Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
This rich Italian dish is high on my list of favorites! Not for the calorie conscious, but a wonderful treat! Adapted from Martha Stewart.
Top Review by zaksdad
as i really enjoy pasta carbonara, i have sampled several on the zaar...this version is the best so far....i used bacon, which i cut into pieces and fried in a non-stick wok...while the pasta cooked, i readied the cream, yolk, parmesan mixture and poured off most of the bacon fat from the wok. i reheated the wok slightly and returned the bacon bits. the drained pasta soon joined the bacon and the cream mixture topped the pasta. the result was rich and satisfying. the excellence of this recipe is a function of what seems a perfect ratio in the cream, egg yolk, parmesan. i cannot recommend this recipe highly enough to other site users.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated (5 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- In a heavy medium skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and pancetta and cook until pancetta is browned - 3-4 minute Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Cook spaghetti in boiling water until al dente, about 8 minute.
- While spaghetti is cooking, whisk cream, egg yolks, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Drain pasta, and return to saucepan. Immediately stir in egg/cheese mixture until well combined.
- Add warm pancetta and fat from pan. Toss well.
- Thin sauce with additional cream, if necessary. Serve immediately with more Parmesan cheese as a garnish.