Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a VERY old recipe that I have doctored over the years! Can be a side dish OR dessert!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, DRAINED WELL
- 1 cup dried cranberries, craisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 22 slices de-crusted bread, torn into pieces
- In large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add eggs, milk and pineapple, mix well.
- Stir in "craisins" and pecans.
- Fold in bread.
- Pour into greased 13x9-inch glass baking dish, do not smooth flat--leave tiny peaks.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350ºF oven for 35-45 minutes until caramelized and peaks are tinged brown.
- I serve this warm, not hot.
- Goes great with turkey, ham, chicken, and pork as a side dish.
- Leftovers even go great re-heated with vanilla or butter pecan ice cream!
I took this to Thanksgiving dinner shared by 6 adults. Everyone oohh'd and aahh'd. The hostess decided to serve it warm for dessert. Pineapple haters loved it and requested the recipe. That to me is a ten star recipe! This will be my new covered dish contribution.
I also will take this dish to neighbors as a Christmas plate, dang the cookies and candy! Thank you for a lovely addition to my recipe file. Wish my mom was here to try it!
This is so AMAZING!! I took it to a New Years party, and it got RAVE reviews! I didn't add the nuts (allergy) and I cut back the sugar to 3 cups, and it was PLENTY sweet. I may even cut back another 1/2 cup next time I make it...and there WILL be a next time. The craisins are such a nice addition to the pineapple dressing...they not only add a nice flavor, but it looks so festive! Thank you so much for making me look like a stand out cook!
The new addition to, and the hit of our Thanksgiving Table! Thank you Kelly!