My sister makes this for my veggie DD at family dinner parties. It's a hit with everyone.
Make and share this My Sister's Vegetable Rigatoni recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium red onions, halved and sliced
- 2 red peppers (or yellow or green)
- 1 medium zucchini or 1 medium yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 4 1⁄2 ounces whole wheat rigatoni (weight before cooking)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon (use vegetarian)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In 11" x 7" baking dish, combine onions, peppers, zucchini and 2 tbsp water.
- Microwave, covered on High 4 to 5 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Add cooked rigatoni and mushrooms.
- Toss to combine with vegetables.
- Sprinkle with bouillon and paprika.
- Microwave, covered, on High 2 to 3 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Microwave, uncovered, on High 2 to 3 minutes until cheese melts.
- For Vegetarian only use a Vegetarian Chicken flavored bouillon or you will have to sub a Vegetable bouillon.
This dish is plain and simple and that's what makes it so great!! I didn't have any mushrooms and I don't care for onions so I left those out. I used half of a green pepper and a couple of gypsy peppers but I think it would be great with red peppers too. I had some partial packages of whole wheat bowties and rotini so that's what I used. I was pleasantly surprised with the addition of the boullion and paprika. This is a healthy dish that you can whip up in a jiffy with staple ingredients - really enjoyed - thanks for sharing the recipe!
For now I'm giving only 3 stars. I plan to try it again but will brown the veggies in a skillet to give the dish more taste. I added a lot more time in the microwave and the veggies were still crispy and my microwave has a good power. I used 1 large red pepper. I didn't like the addition of paprika. I decided to put the dish in the oven at broil to golden the cheese. But next time we'll add more cheese. Thanks Dreamer. Made for Beverage tag.
Delicious! Please forgive me, but I did make 2 changes. I sauteed my vegetables (not real fond of micro cooking) and used organic Rigatoni, as that is what I had on hand. I chose to use a green and yellow pepper as my choices. The cheese on top was a really nice addition. :)