Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is my sister Barb's recipe. It is the first thing I ever made for my husband when we first met and he flipped over it. He ate a whole loaf driving home from my house!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg, sweet potatoes and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (except walnuts) together well and add to wet ingredients.
- Stir until just combined.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into 2 standard loaf pans.
- Bake for 75 minutes or until thin knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Perfectly moist with just the right amount of sweetness. I left out the walnuts (personal preference) and added pecans to one loaf. A little too strong on the cloves so I will cut down next time. Baked beautifully, nice and dense. DH nearly ate an entire loaf in one day! This will be the perfect bread for holiday gift giving.
I've made this recipe a couple times as muffins--and it's awesome! Great flavor and texture. Unlike most muffins, they're good even a few days later--moist, but not too moist! I used liner papers and drizzled them with a simple powdered sugar frosting. I called them "marry me" muffins because of the story and folks loved them!
Very good. Halved the recipe using 2 eggs instead of 3 and canola oil, but otherwise made it as directed. Very soft, fluffy and delicious!