Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 8x4-inch loaf pans.
- Combine in a bowl the brown sugar and oil.
- Stir well until smooth.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, salt, baking soda, vanilla and flour.
- Blend until moist.
- Fold in the diced rhubarb and chopped nuts.
- Turn batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Combine the butter and sugar until crumbly, then sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes, or until bread passes the toothpick test.
- Turn out onto racks and cool before slicing.
- Slice into about 20 slices per loaf.
Very good quick bread. I used white sugar (was out of brown) and added 1/2 tsp baking powder. Omitted nuts because some non nut eaters would be here, but will add them next time. Thanks!