Recipe by CountryLady
I'm shameless about scrounging a ham bone so I can make this soup! If the "donation" has been scraped pretty clean of meat, I'll purchase a less expensive boneless dinner ham, use the center portion for dinner or a couple of breakfasts and run the ends through the food processor to supplement my soup.
Top Review by mrswylie
very easy to make! i added fresh garlic and onion to the pot, i also cooked it in my crock pot all day. very yummy. I didnt have a ham bone, so i used a small ham just cut up into small peices. very good!!
- 1 (16 ounce) package navy beans
- 9 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 -10 whole peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly wash beans in cold water& discard any stones or shrivelled beans.
- Place beans into a large, heavy pot with fresh water; bring to a boil& boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover& let stand for an hour.
- Add ham bone, salt, pepper& bay leaves to pot, cover& simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove bay leaves & ham bone and allow to cool enough to be able to handle.
- In the meantime, use a potato masher to mash the beans slightly, chop the onion& add to the pot.
- Cut the meat off the bone& add to the pot, adjust the seasonings& continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.