My own version of Shepherd's Pie, cobbled together from several other recipes on here. (If you use kosher lamb and omit the Parmigiano, this can be kosher.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs ground lamb
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or two cloves minced)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/4 lb white mushroom, diced
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock (or lamb stock if available)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 lbs mashed potatoes (instant mashed potatoes work fine)
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a saute pan or oven-safe pan. Add the lamb and saute until broken up and beginning to brown, 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add onion, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms and tomato paste. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 4-6 minutes.
- 4Stir flour into water to form a slurry. Add beef stock and Worcestershire sauce to pan; when it starts to bubble, add flour slurry. Stir until slightly thickened. Add thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- 5Use your favorite mashed potato recipe, or prepare instant as directed on package.
- 6When 20 minutes have passed, add frozen peas to pan. Recover and simmer another 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- 7If your saute pan is not oven-safe, transfer mixture to an oven-safe dish. Top with mashed potatoes, spreading evenly to cover the surface of the dish. Sprinkle with grated Parmigiano. Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes. If the top has not browned, turn on the broiler for 3-4 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.8
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.6 mg
- Sodium 754.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 23.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: