Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's a secret! I hope you like it.
- 2 cups whole dry wheat berries
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 (4 ounce) canripe black olives
- 2 cups fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 cup mint, minced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, soaked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook wheat berries at a high simmer for about 2 hours. This goes a little faster if you soak them overnight.
- Drain remaining water and run the wheat under cold water for a couple of minutes.
- Strain and set aside (storing the wheat in the fridge to cool them down while you proceed with the next step is a good idea).
- Chop olives, parsley, mint, spinach, onion, garlic and tomatoes; put all ingredients in large bowl.
- Add the wheat berries to bowl.
- Add lemon juice, soy sauce and olive oil.
- Mix together well.
- Add salt to taste.
- This recipe keeps in the fridge for a least a week if needed. Just add a little lemon juice, if needed. This is a great recipe to make ahead for parties.
This is a good tabouli recipe. I like the addition of fresh spinach. I am not a fan of sun-dried tomatoes so I used chopped fresh tomatoes. Thanks for the recipe.