Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is more of a method than recipe. But... I am not a big fan of toast. When it comes with my breakfast at the diner, I eat it to not waste the money paid for it. My grandmother's homemade bread toast was, of course, an exception. But she's gone & bread making is not my, um...forte. BUT, I picked up a loaf of really nice artisanal bread at a bakery & had an IDEA.... your bread doesn't need to be round, it just can't be flat. This method produces toast that will make your head swirl. You MUST have a heavy, preferably cast iron, skillet. I recommend the best butter you can afford.
- 1 loaf good artisanal bread
- 1⁄2 cup sweet salted butter
- Heat the cast iron skillet over medium low heat.
- Slice your bread thickly - 1/2 - 1". Butter generously & thoroughly including the edges.
- Place butter side down in hot skillet. Check every few minutes until it is toasted to your liking. Remove carefully.
- You may top with preserves or whatever makes you happiest.
I love this method, I use it usually to grill buns for burgers and sandwiches, never thought to try it for toast. Wow, was this good, I used sweet butter and plain white bread, what a treat. I finished it off with some homemade strawberry preserves, what a perfect brekky it was. Thanks for sharing Elmotoo.
Tasty way to make toast! Used a thick piece of homemade bread and served topped with a poached egg for a great breakfast - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Best of 2013 event, recommended by I'mPat
A delicious accompaniment to my scrambled eggs this morning.